canberrabirds

Re: Wednesday's walk to Gigerline

To: COG List <>, COG Wednesday Walkers <>
Subject: Re: Wednesday's walk to Gigerline
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 10:06:15 +1100
Neeaarrrgggh.  It is the old service station site - not "old service state site".

Martin

On 16 March 2015 at 08:48, Martin Butterfield <> wrote:
Despite the efforts of various organs of the ACT and NSW Governments to have habitat reduction burns everywhere, Gigerline appears to have escaped (so far).  Also the aerial spraying is not in the area we will be visiting.   A few points to keep in mind:
  • If anyone would like to suggest carpooling spots in the urban area that would probably be a good thing from a Carbon footprint perspective.  Note the meeting time in the next point in estimating the required time of departure from any pooling spots.
  • We will meet at the old service state site at Williamsdale, where it is easy to park and organise things, at 9:00am.
  • As I expect everyone will be coming from the North, this will involve turning: be careful doing this as the Monaro Highway is a busy road and the speed limit is 100kph.  Perhaps imagine you're in Melbourne and pull left to check the traffic before turning right?
  • We'll then drive a few 100m back up the highway to park beside the road and start the walk.
  • The forecast is for a possible shower (I wish) and a high of 31C.  I suggest bringing water and a hat would be very sensible.
  • The walking is generally quite easy on either firetrail or heavily kangaroo-grazed bush.  The descent to River level is fairly steep but is on a good fire trail.  Total walking distance will probably be about 5km.