canberrabirds

WTNT on Warks Road

To: Canberra Birds <>, Michael Tarburton <>
Subject: WTNT on Warks Road
From: "calyptorhynchus ." <>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 16:02:16 +1100
I saw four WTNT above the trees on Warks Road nr the junction with New Chums Road (-35.379544, 148.837265) today at around 1pm. I could have sworn that one did a finsbury flop as it came up one side of the ridge and and turned back down the other.

Thought about these, there were no fronts crossing the ACT today and the weather was clear and hot, though quite windy. I almost always see a few WTNT when I go up into the Brindabellas in January, February and March. Perhaps some bands of WTNT just lurk up there all the time in those three months, and use the updrafts and wind currents around the peaks instead of cruising storm fronts like other parties do.

Also seen up there: Gang-gangs, Crescent Honeyeater, Yellow-faced H'eater (many), White-naped H'eater (few), Flame and Rose Robin (many and 1), Rufous Fantail, and I heard Lyrebird, Pilotbird and YTBC.

On the way up (Mt Franklin Road) I saw a couple of parties of Spotted Quailthrush with male, female and young.

--
John Leonard