canberrabirds

caterpillar and OPEN GARDEN this weekend [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

To: "'Barbara Preston'" <>, "" <>
Subject: caterpillar and OPEN GARDEN this weekend [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]
From: "Perkins, Harvey" <>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 03:07:11 +0000

Hi Barbara

It’s actually the White-stemmed Gum Moth  Chelepteryx collesi (rather than wattle moth)

http://www.csiro.au/Outcomes/Environment/Biodiversity/white-stemmed-gum-moths.aspx

There seem to be quite a few of them about this season. I remember them well as a kid growing up in Sydney and inadvertently putting my hand on the cocoons while climbing trees – a very unpleasant experience and takes ages to get all the spines out!

Harvey

Dr Harvey Perkins

CRC Programme Liaison Officer

Phone +61 2 6213 7472

Email:  m("industry.gov.au","Harvey.Perkins");">