canberrabirds

'Dy or not dy?' that is the question. [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

Subject: 'Dy or not dy?' that is the question. [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]
From: Con Boekel <>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 17:48:55 +1100
Harvey
I had sort of assumed that with altricials, cessation of feeding of the young by adults was a sort of dividing line between dy and not dy.

I agree that with precocials this is not a generally useful definition. With the precocials I sort of figure that if the young stick fairly close to the adults then there is some sort of dy relationship (Perhaps teaching the young about what hawks can do if you don't keep and eye on them?)

With altricials it seems to me, when parents stop feeding the young is not only a marker of a stage in the breeding process but also a marker of time and place. Dy does show whether the particular spot is useful in the breeding process - even if the nest was beyond some notional boundary. Post-dy is, arguably, a possible marker that not only has the breeding process completed but that breeding may have occurred somewhere else. Using hundreds if not thousands of breeding records, patterns of id, ih, co, ne, ny, dy in the data are a useful marker of overall breeding timing.
regards
Con