canberrabirds

Out and about with a compact camera

To: <>
Subject: Out and about with a compact camera
From: "David Cook" <>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 10:30:45 +1100
We have our own brand of excitement here in Wamboin – sitting in a tree in our backyard a short while ago:

Signed, I’m Excited, Wamboin

Sent: Thursday, January 22, 2015 10:24 AM
Subject: [canberrabirds] Out and about with a compact camera

A smaller group encouraged by Jack H has been discussing the variability of koel calls.  The information in HANZAB is far from complete.  Part of the difficulty is the bird often calls from dense foliage with the bird’s sex to be inferred from an associated sighting, possibly not of the same bird as they can keep close company.   However yesterday’s view of a  calling male was very clear (much more so than in the below blurry snap).  The call was loud and resonant and belonged to the variable kek-kek-kek group of sounds rather than the ‘wirra’ or ‘koo-el’ groups, those probably only given by the male.  The kek-kek-kek is only a reliable guide to the presence of a female insofar as, if not from a female,  it will be from a probably excited male.  It is generally a sign of some kind of action.

This morning’s airing of the  dogs (shown) on Rocky Knob confirmed that the King Parrot can be added to the long list of parrots and cockatoos that make use of the introduced African Boxthorn.  It also offered a view of the soccer balloon, by-passing the National Parliament and announced on local ABC radio to be headed for Canberra Stadium, more or less.  This is included for our correspondents in Burra, Carwoola and Wamboin who miss out on this kind of excitement.