canberrabirds

WW to Warks Rd etc

To: COG List <>, COG Wednesday Walkers <>, gang-gang <>
Subject: WW to Warks Rd etc
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 09:24:35 +1100
The editors of Gang-gang may wish to use this as the trip report.
24 members and guests assembled at Stromlo Forest Park to car pool for the drive to Warks rd in the Brindabellas.  As the weather forecast was still a tad iffy it was decided to go directly to high areas and if time and energy permitted stop off at Uriarra Dam on the way back.

Or first two stops were on Blundell's creek Rd where Rufous Fantails were seen.  A Brush Cuckoo and a Superb Lyrebird were heard and on driving off, some people saw a Satin Bower Bird cross in front of the cars.

We stopped at the junction of Blundells Creek and Warks Rds and - in a break with tradition - headed downstream for a while.   As usual at this time of year honeyeaters, including Yellow-faced, White-naped and White-eared, were active in the canopy.

 Returning to the junction we headed uphill.   We were soon getting interesting breeding records .  Possibly the highlight of the day was a male Rose Robin flying into a nest decorated with lichen and three hungry mouths.   An Eastern Yellow Robin was seen in the gully feeding its young.  A Satin Flycatcher w
as seen on its nest and some members spotted two small heads therein.  The last of the 'specials' of the area was two Eastern Shrike-tits.
​  Much debate occurred with respect to an obviously young, and heavily striated  bird ​begging on a branch.  It was being fed and the feeder eventually revealed itself as a female Rufous Whistler.  So the default position is very recently fledged Rufous Whistler: some photos were taken and research will happen..

We then moved up the road towards Bendora Dam Rd stopping at the first intersection for a foray in this drier woodland.  We had good views of a Sacred Kingfisher and a Flame Robin was seen feeding young.
Our final stop was at the Uriarra Homestead Dam.  The dam was not as well plastered with birds as usual the highlight being Tree Martins hawking over the water.  As the weather finally seemed to have got rainy we didn't stay long.

49 species were recorded on the day.

The editors of Gang-gang may wish to note in "forthcoming trips " that the February walk
​will be to Forde ponds on 18 February.  Details ​of meeting point etc will be circulated on the chatline and the website when finalised.