canberrabirds

not birds but bats

To: <>
Subject: not birds but bats
From: "Ian Baird" <>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2015 23:13:20 +1100

The roosting site/camp  at Commonwealth Park has been occupied from time to time for at least 10 years. In recent years the species has been present in Canberra throughout the year although numbers fluctuate on a seasonal basis, The site is regularly monitored and numbers present are currently counted at least 4 times a year.  Breeding occurs at the camp. The species is the grey-headed flying fox (Pteropus poliocephalus), the largest flying fox in Australia, the same species that has established a camp in the Sydney Botanical Gardens. For more information see:

http://www.environment.gov.au/cgi-bin/sprat/public/publicspecies.pl?taxon_id=186

They are nectar feeders on eucalypts but will also eat fruit wherever they can find it.

Ian  Baird