canberrabirds

a Superb flight

To: canberrabirds <>
Subject: a Superb flight
From: Stuart Harris <>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2015 19:04:42 +1100
A large flock of approx 30-40 Superb parrots flying (and calling excitedly) over Belconnen (Emu Ridge/Benjamin Way) this evening. My home is in McElhone Court, only a stone's throw from the Police Station, and I have been recording Superb parrot activity daily since mid-December. I have observed flocks and small parties quite regularly though none as large as the flock sited this evening. From Xmas eve until the 29th, Superbs, mainly males, availed themselves on plums from my neighbour's tree and also an apple tree on the edge of my other neighbour's front yard. In the past four years since i moved back to Belconnen (from Hughes) i have noted similar activity over the same time period though would stick my neck out (slightly) and say that there seems to be an increase in numbers this year. This being said, I fully echo the opinion that it would be grossly premature to revise the Superb parrot's threatened status in the ACT, as surely a substantial consolidation over many years would need be established to even consider this (unless one is a developer or politician that is). After all, as much of this species habitat (open woodland) throughout its range is on private land, and therefore not regularly monitored, how are we to know and substantiate that its population is not diminished in other areas?

Regards
Stuart Harris