canberrabirds

The kids get booted out

To: "'Martin Butterfield'" <>, "'COG List'" <>
Subject: The kids get booted out
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 11:04:20 +1100
I know I'm making a diversion from Martin's topic here. A lot of people think that parent birds push or otherwise force their chicks to leave the nest. I have a little discussion point that whilst there might be some obscure species somewhere that does that, typically it isn't true. So where does this common fallacy come from? Most chicks leave the nest of their own timing and parents do not force them out, although with some birds (usually the precocial ones like ducks) it is by following the lead and encouragement of parents. This is of course a different thing from Martin's story which is about parents pushing out grown young from their territory when they are able to look after themself and lots of birds (certainly not all) do that.