Keep our Woodlands Superb
To those concerned about the welfare of the Superb Parrot
You are being contacted because you or your organisation may be interested in conservation actions to protect the Superb Parrot throughout its range and to assist long-term survival of this enigmatic species. We are asking concerned individuals and groups to inform themselves about the new listing assessment for the Commonwealth’s Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation (EPBC) Act.
· Are you aware that the Superb Parrot is in danger of being removed from the protection of the EPBC Act?
· Are you aware of the possibilities of downlisting the status of the Superb Parrot from State and Territory legislation?
· Are you aware that this will greatly undermine all of the work on the protection of trees in the rural landscape?
· Are you aware that this could affect funding available for tree planting programs?
· Are you aware that this proposed downlisting is despite no changes to the threatening processes?
· Are you aware this proposal is due to information contained in the Action Plan for Australian Birds-2010 produced by Birds Australia, now BirdLife Australia?
To find out more go to
For those interested, see an article titled ‘A Superb Outcome?’ in Australian Birdlife Vol.1, No. 2, pp 34-37, June 2012.
If you object to the proposed downlisting of the Superb Parrot then please cut and paste the following statement into an email to m("environment.gov.au","species.consultation");" target="_blank" class="">
‘I object to the down-listing of the Superb Parrot from the EPBC Act on the following grounds:
· Complete lack of data to suggest any change in status.
· No indication that there have been any changes to the various threatening processes.
· The removal of a flag-ship species used to protect aged hollow-bearing trees in the rural landscape.
· Downlisting based on altered criteria rather than survey data.
· Other unknown impacts from loss of habitat.
Please note that submissions need to be in by 9th January 2015.