canberrabirds

Two IDs Please..

To: Julie Clark <>
Subject: Two IDs Please..
From: Matthew Willis <>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 22:07:29 +1100

The first is definitely a Royal Spoonbill. There has been one (or more) in Kelly's Swamp recently.

I won't hazard a guess on the second.

Matthew

On Nov 28, 2014 9:18 PM, "Julie Clark" <> wrote:
Hi All,

Today at Yerrabi Pond I took the attached photo ... not sure what I thought it was, but on looking at it tonight think it might be a Royal Spoonbill. I've never seen one down there before and have only seen them a couple of times before. I can't think what else it would be though.

Also, a couple of days ago at the large Forde pond I had a brief glimpse of a waterbird in the reeds. It was dark coloured with bright red legs and smaller than the moorhens and coots ... more the size of a crake (probably in between the size of a Baillon's and a Spotted - both of which I saw on the same day.)

I didn't think I'd managed a photo, but found the attached fairly useless shot when I went through the photos yesterday. My only attempt at an Id would be a Spotless Crake, but I've never seen one before and have no idea how likely that would be.

Any help with either would be appreciated.

Cheers
Julie

Julie Clark