canberrabirds

Koel behaviour

To: "'Cog line'" <>
Subject: Koel behaviour
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2014 09:54:14 +1100
For what it is worth, at my home so far this year (actually no, as I am excluding January & February), I have only been hearing the "koel" call, maybe not each day, but most, over the past 5 weeks, not especially close. No suggestion of more than one bird within earshot. I have only once seen the one bird, a male, in the local park that I include in my GBS area. In the same tree that I saw my first ever GBS Koel several years ago. The "koel" call is not uniform as it is given about 8 times, each utterance increasing in intensity, though I was thinking whilst watching and listening at how would that be analysed. A Red Wattlebird approached it to have a close look for a minute or two. Over the previous summer I had 5 adults at one time within about 50 metres.