canberrabirds

Support ACT cat containment to protect our birds & wildlife

To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: Support ACT cat containment to protect our birds & wildlife
From: "Jenny Bounds" <>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 09:31:05 +1100

The latest Conservation Council e-newsletter (below) may be of interest to chatline members  The Council is currently working with others to further progress cat containment in the ACT and more community education on responsible cat ownership.  COG is supporting this project which aims to better protect our birds and wildlife.  You may like to help by signing the petition to the Minister.

cheers
Jenny
Is this email not displaying correctly?
View it in your browser.

Yellow-Box Dispatch—November 2014

Executive Director’s letter

Hi everyone,
I’ve heard local beekeepers are looking forward to the Yellow-Box trees flowering over the next few weeks. The trees need warm nights to blossom and conditions are now about right. It’s interesting that while all honey will candy (unless it’s been heat-treated - cooked - to change its structure) yellow-box honey will take about two years!

And yes, things have been buzzing here as we get ready for the Spring Mingle, which is both our end-of-year gathering and also a way to network and, well, mingle, with others who care about the environment. Please register here. We will be celebrating the end of a big year and hope to see you there. This time we are confident the Nature Conservation Bill will be debated by the Assembly on Thursday 27 November and seems with tri-partisan support — which is what we wanted. Big cheers on this one.
Clare Henderson
Cats have been a focus over the last month and we hope some of you have received our letterbox cards — it would be great if you could let us know and your feedback. m("conservationcouncil.org.au","campaign");" target=_blank>Email Bri who is our main contact on all things on cats, their impacts on wildlife and the animal welfare benefits of cat containment. Plus please sign our petition to Minister Rattenbury for all of Canberra to be cat containment by 2025.
Cheers,
Clare Henderson Executive Director and the team: Briony, Larry and Suzanne

Love your cat and protect wildlife too

If you support protection of Canberra’s pet cats and native wildlife, then please sign our petition for the declaration of Canberra-wide cat containment by 2025.

Join us in calling on Minister Rattenbury to:
  • declare, in a timely manner, all new suburbs and urban developments within one kilometre of nature reserves as cat containment
  • make a forward declaration to make all of Canberra cat containment by 2025
  • support and fund ongoing community public education on cat containment in the ACT.
Read our letter to Minister Rattenbury (PDF 155KB) about the need for Canberra-wide cat containment, which outlines the detrimental impact roaming cats are having on our local biodiversity.

Cat containment not only protects our local wildlife but also benefits the welfare of our pet cats:
  • Contained cats live much longer
  • Contained cats suffer less injury and therefore less expensive vet bills
  • Contained cats reduce nuisance to neighbours
  • Contained cats don’t create a "feeder" population for potential future feral cats, and
  • Contained cats can be very content.
Sign our petition to show Minister Rattenbury that you support Canberra-wide cat containment for its benefits to our environment, our cats and our community at large.

Please us

We use several ways to have discussions with our member groups and the community and we need to do this to effectively campaign on environmental issues. It helps us greatly if more people would Like the Conservation Council on Facebook. We have interesting posts and you can make comments on what we post. If you have any comments or questions on the Conservation Council’s communications contact Larry on m("conservationcouncil.org.au?subject","communications");=Conservation%20Council%20communications%20comments" target=_blank> or 02 6229 3200

Ngunnawal Plant Use – field guide

The ACT Government, in partnership with Greening Australia, the Ngunnawal community and Aboriginal staff working in natural resource management have published Ngunnawal Plant Use – a field guide on how Ngunnawal people used and continue to use the plant resources of the ACT and broader region.

The ACT’s Traditional Owners, the Ngunnawal people used and continue to use the plant resources of this region for food, medicine, tools and weapons, fire, ceremonial purposes, water, fibre, dye and paint. Ngunnawal Plant Use provides information on the native plants of the ACT region and their many Ngunnawal uses.

We expect member groups and supporters to be interested in the book and we have a copy in the Spring Mingle silent auction Friday 28 November.

Proceeds from salesk will support Aboriginal natural resource management in the ACT so if you miss out at the Spring Mingle, the book is $22 (including postage, handling and GST) from:

Divestment from Fossil Fuels

Over the last month the divestment campaign has really gained momentum. It was great news that the Australian National University decided to divest from seven fossil fuel resource companies — congratulations to them.

And special congratulations go to our member groups — ANU Environment Collective and 350.org — for all their work on this. We continue to take an active role in supporting their divestment campaign. From Thursday 27 November till 1 December a bunch of Canberrans will be travelling to the Leard blockade to stop the Maules Creek coal mine from being constructed. Please contact 350.org if you want to be part of Canberrans adopt a week at the Leard Blockade. We will be posting reports on our blog.

World Parks Congress

We have been fortunate to have reports from Ishbel Cullen, an ANU student and volunteer with 350.org, who attended the IUCN World Parks Congress (WPC) in Sydney. The WPC is a landmark global forum on protected areas held every ten years with over 5,000 people participating this year. It is the world’s most influential gathering of people involved in protected area governance, and sets a global agenda for the following decade.

Ishbel attended as a volunteer and as part of the Young People's Media Coalition which aims to create and distribute media pieces that provide a youth perspective on the conference.

The Conservation Council published Ishbel’s work on the Conservation Council blog.

EVENTS

Imagining Gang-gangs

What:    Imagining Gang-gangs exhibition of student artworks
Where:   M16 Artspace Gallery, Griffith
When:   Opening 4pm Wednesday 26 November until Sunday 30 November

Visitors can vote for their favourite artwork by a primary and a senior year student and the most popular two works will win $250 from Bank Mecu.  Contact: Kathy Eyles 0407 899 698

Spring Mingle

What:    Conservation Council Spring Mingle
Where:  Lena Karmel Lodge roof top garden – 26 Barry Drive Canberra
When:   Friday 28 November 2014 6:30 – 9:00pm

A roof top evening for the environment. Please register
here to join us to celebrate our environment achievements at our 2014 Spring Mingle. Connect with other Canberrans who are passionate about the environment. There will be a cash bar, a beautiful view, music, entertainment, a silent auction and we will provide a feast of canapés and a gourmet grill. Plus we will welcome our Board for 2015.

Surviving Earth

What:   'Surviving Earth' movie followed by excellent panel
Where:   Finkel Theatre, John Curtin School of Medical Research, ANU
When:   Monday 8 December, 7pm

Frank Fenner Foundation, in association with Sustainable Population Australia ACT branch and the producers from United Natures Media, will screen 'Surviving Earth' followed by a panel discussion with Prof. Ian Lowe, Julian Cribb, Dr Peter Tait, Dr Stephen Bygrave, the producer Peter Downey and David Holmgren.  MC Jenny Goldie. Questions from audience welcome.

Tickets available at door $12/$10 or ensure your space by booking on Facebook or with Trybooking

Being an effective voice for the environment — 28 March 2015

Building on the successful 2014 Conservation Council Symposium we will hold another ‘Being an effective voice for the environment’ Saturday 28 March 2015. Register your interest at www.conservationcouncil.org.au or email m("conservationcouncil.org.au","info");">

Support our work

We are a non-profit, non-government organisation. Help safeguard the ACT's environment by becoming a regular monthly contributor with a regular monthly donation. One-off donations are also appreciated. All are tax deductible.

How you can help:
This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
Conservation Council ACT Region · GPO Box 544 · CANBERRA, ACT 2601 · Australia

Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp

Copyright © Conservation Council ACT Region,
All rights reserved.

You are getting this email because you opted in at our website, are a supporter or subscribed at an event.

Our mailing address is:
*