canberrabirds

FW: [canberrabirds] on plumage differences

To: <>
Subject: FW: [canberrabirds] on plumage differences
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2014 18:57:49 +1100

Here are phots I sent Jack

From: Jack & Andrea Holland [
Sent: Wednesday, 5 November 2014 5:58 PM

Sorry folks, particularly to David McDonald

I forgot about the picture size limits so quite rightly it failed to send.

I’ve now deleted these as the points are still valid without them.

Let me know if you’d like the version with the pictures and I’ll forward it to you personally.

Once again my apologies.

Jack Holland

Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2014 5:34 PM

Hello subscribers, Geoffrey has allowed me to forward his response to me, as I find it interesting on a number of points.

1.  It’s an early breeding event, my back dating suggests round the middle of September/perhaps earlier as the juvenile seems quite advanced, and noting that my Column in the October Gang-gang indicates "While the Pallid Cuckoo and the Horsfield’s and Shining Bronze Cuckoo have all been reported from after the first week of September, numbers have been low so far, and early signs are that it will be another poor season for cuckoos in the ACT.”!!

2.  The association between the juvenile and the adult which has been reported for other cuckoos, and in our area in particular the Eastern/Pacific Koel, though much later in the season (sometimes attributed to passing information on where to go for winter!).

3.  No sign of the foster parent despite the begging – there should be a number of possibilities, probably with a domed-shaped nest.

4.  I have checked my records and can confirm we’ve only recorded the H B-C once (2008) during 11 nest workshops, again around the horse crossing.

Hopefully it will still be around in 10 days time on 16/10!

Jack Holland

Jack  -  yes last week very near the horse crossing.  It was interesting that the juv was being attended (begging from but not being fed by that I could see) by the adult.  Couldn’t get a shot with both in focus.  I particularly noticed that the juv had the rufous edged tail already.  g