canberrabirds

Newline this morning

To: COG List <>
Subject: Newline this morning
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 12:31:25 +1100
I did a couple of blitz listings this morning.

I started off with the part of the front paddock which falls within Grid square n14 and in 30 minutes racked up 24 species.  The highlights were a Sacred Kingfisher, 2 White-winged Trillers and 1 Jacky Winter.  My only breeding record here  was Starling entering hollow.

I then fired up the bike for a patrol down the lane to the Quarry gate (Grid M14).  This was initially (for about 40 minutes) very quiet - apart from the ruckus of Starlings and Common Mynas.  The only highlights were a female Mistletoebird and 2 Double-barred Finches exploring the weeds beside the concrete recycling place.  However when I got back to the front paddock area which falls within that cell things brightened up.  3 Rainbow Lorikeets which didn't quite explore a hollow; 2 Dusky Woodswallows and a Dollarbird. 29 species for the cell with Starling (Nest with Young) and Magpie (Dependent Young) as breeding records.

Overall 37 species.