canberrabirds

Domestic Mallards

To: "'COG List'" <>
Subject: Domestic Mallards
From: "Mark Clayton" <>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 19:24:41 +1100

On Saturday I took a visiting American bird watcher to several well known birding sites around Canberra. This included the Namadgi Visitors Centre where I was after a “lifer” for him, the Jacky Winter which we recorded. I was also hoping to see a crake or rail at the small pond behind the visitors centre but alas no luck. However there were two fully plumaged male “farmyard” Mallards on the pond, one of which was paying attention to a female Pacific Black Duck; both Mallards could fly very well. I let the “Ranger” in the office know of the birds presence and that they should be removed ASAP and was told that they belonged to a neighbouring property and came and went as they pleased. Farmyard Mallards are not the major problem in Australia as they are in New Zealand (yet) where they interbreed and hybridise with the Pacific Black Duck to the point where it is now almost impossible to see a pure PBD. I did point out that it should be easy to trap these two birds but was told they are too smart for those trying to trap them. My parting shot, pardon the pun, was that Christmas was coming if people get my drift ...................!!

I have seen a similar situation at the Shortlands Wetland Centre in Newcastle and when I reported the single Mallard there to staff was amazed when I was asked “what’s a Mallard?” The attitude of wildlife authorities to this species in the wild leaves something to be desired!

Mark