canberrabirds

An out of area report

To: COG List <>
Subject: An out of area report
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 16:26:31 +1100
We have just spent a few days at beautiful Mallacoota.  My blog-post about yesterday's activities starts with a few observations that may be of interest to members.  It was also exciting to see a pair of Australasian Figbirds on the Casuarina walk: while eBird has a few records from the area there is usually only one or two a year.

On the way back today I was astonished to see a male Emu princes Highway about 25km South of Eden.  This area  is reasonably well covered with forest.  Continuing on our way we called in at Black Lake near Bibbenluke (in turn a few kms North of Bombala).  26 Black-winged Stilts were good to see but the surprise was an adult White-bellied Sea Eagle (which terrified a raft of about 300 Eurasian Coot).