canberrabirds

Birding specific software and apps

To: "COG_Mailing_List " <>
Subject: Birding specific software and apps
From: John Brown <>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2014 09:17:11 +0000

Many people undoubtedly keep bird lists in MS-Word, Excel or similar. Others may rely on web databases such as eBird to keep their records. However I am interested in hearing from people who you birding specific software. What software do you use?

For some years I have been using Bird Journal: https://www.birdjournal.com/

Just recently it has changed from being a stand-alone bit of PC software to a licence-fee cloud-based storage accessible from as many devices as you like through windows / iOS / android apps which you download without additional charge. For instance,  On the weekend I was in a Bournda National Park, and entered my daily site- lists on my iPhone. Without doing anything further those lists instantly appeared in the Bird Journal apps on my Tablet PC, laptop, and desktop computers when I got home! The iPhone app was only released for the first time yesterday, and is frankly very rudimentary. However I was sufficient to achieve the above. Also the software developers have been very active in developing their software since I started using it a few years ago, so I am very confident it will improve quickly. Their support has included responding to every email that I have sent them regarding new feature that I want to see, many of which have now eventuated. The PC software on the other hand has been around for years.  I selected it some years ago because it allows me to drop in my ‘proof’ photos very easily, and allows me to use IOC taxonomy to accommodate my worldwide life list. It is possible to export data to eBird, but I find it quicker and easier to just log the data manually in BirdLog app. I hope they improve eBird integration in the future. So it’s not perfect, and I am sure those who make sport of criticising things will have a field day, but it does what I want it to very well and very easily. I highly recommend it!

However, I like to hear what other people are using, and if other solutions have moved in this same cloud based direction? Perhaps there is something better out there??

I don’t use any other PC software, but use a few other iPhone apps to help me in the field, but don’t use any of these to record my own lists

-          BirdLog ANZ  (which I use to upload data to eBird)

-          BirdsEye AU

-          Aus Birds (Morcombe & Stewart “eGuide of the Birds of Australia” bird guide)

-          PK Birds (Pizzey & Knight “Birds of Australia” bird guide)

John