canberrabirds

Flushing Cormorants

To: Robin Hide <>, milburns <>, "" <>
Subject: Flushing Cormorants
From: "Maconachie, Michael" <>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 22:59:03 +0000

I won’t wade into this debate too much but a couple of points:

Under the Management Plan no boats are allowed within the reserve/Jerra Creek past the harbour entrance. At the moment this is difficult to enforce as the boat club is within the exclusion area. The boat club will shortly be moving as this area will be developed as part of Kingston Harbour. It is likely that we will put a buoy line across the entrance of Jerra Creek in the future. People have been kayaking up Jerra Creek for a long time and it won’t stop overnight – old habits die hard. A certain percentage of dog owners are blind to ‘no dog signs’ so I guess a certain percentage of kayakers will be blind to ‘no water craft’ signs. We also need to have a chat with the AFP Water Police who ride their jetski’s all the way up to the silt trap .....

Milburn’s point about ‘huge amounts of human traffic’ – in general visitation has increased, although most come via the cycleway (which rightly or wrongly is routed through the reserve). Yes the new boardwalk will increase visitation and we are getting more people through guided walks and schools/universities. The development of Kingston harbour is bringing the wetlands more neighbours. More people will use the area if we do nothing so we try to manage the visitation to reduce its impact but also provide an educational role (this is one of the aims for the reserve as outlined in the Management Plan). Most unmanaged access into the refuge area is birdwatchers, although I have removed bow hunters and public just wandering. Another ‘unmanaged’ group is ACTEW who go in and out as they see fit to manage the powerlines and cut vegetation under the lines. The grazier also goes around the refuge area every few days to check on his cattle. Which group causes the most disturbance ? all will cause a level of disturbance. Some we cannot manage as they are essential (eg ACTEW, grazier) but in theory I can reduce the number of birdwatchers, university groups etc. I cannot manage the refuge area without entering it and my presence causes a level of disturbance. The pair of sea eagles that were around in the refuge area last autumn for a couple of months would always take flight when they saw the vehicle.

I think the 74 species in a day at Jerra Wetlands can only be achieved by entering the refuge area .....

‘Huge amounts of devegetation’ – I will disagree with this point. Yes there has been removal of exotic vegetation but all areas have been re-planted with natives. As natives support more insects than exotics then as these plantings mature they should support more native birds. The main value for exotic trees/shrubs at the wetlands is as roost sites, cover and nesting. In some areas we have left exotics for this purpose eg the less invasive mature weeping willows with hollows are used by red-rump parrots for nesting and the poisoned African boxthorn is left as shelter for fairy wrens and finches. The new plantings also cover more area than the removed area. Along the Molonglo we have just completed some ‘forward plantings’ – establishing native veg before we remove exotics in the future. One area of poisoned willows has been left to rot down, with natives planted among it to grow through. The area (approx 0.5ha) of willows and alder removed opposite Kingston Harbour was replanted with 5,000 reeds but also had good natural regen of reeds. While this is a ‘habitat’ change I would say it is for the better. This area had about 10 Lathams Snipe in residence all summer – that is how many were flushed each time we went in to do follow up removal of willow and alder seedlings. It is also well used by other water birds. Thought does go into the process and while some disturbance is inevitable the long term benefit of replacing the exotic with the native far out ways it. Think also how much disturbance this reserve has had ? look at old aerial photos. In 1980 there were no trees around Kellys Swamp. The Kingston side of Jerra Creek had no trees because it was a rubbish dump – all has been planted. The wetlands of the refuge area did not exist until Lake Burley Griffin was filled in the 60’s. The whole area has been influenced by man and the nature reserve is a very recent ‘land use’. It has been a treeless dairy farm for a lot longer. The wildlife that exists currently has evolved with the changing land use. Our aim is to improve the reserve for both wildlife and people and that will involve removing exotic vegetation. When you look at the history of the site, the current ‘devegetation’ is a very minor and temporary disturbance event. If thinking purely of birds then foxes, cats, rats and people are a much bigger disturbance.

Michael Maconachie

Senior Ranger

Jerrabomberra Wetlands Nature Reserve

ACT Parks and Conservation Service