canberrabirds

Help with ID (out of area)

To: "'canberra birds'" <>, "'Duncan McCaskill'" <>
Subject: Help with ID (out of area)
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2014 00:43:08 +1000
I can only match it with a non breeding plumage male White-winged Triller. The wing pattern matches and underparts are pale unmarked.

Philip

---- Duncan McCaskill wrote ----

I am having trouble identifying a bird I saw and photographed a few weeks ago in northern Queensland.

I thought at the time it was some kind of robin, based on general appearance and behaviour, but on looking at the photos I'm not so sure. It was grey on the upper parts and white underneath, a little bit like a Jacky Winter. But in the photo the bill looks a bit too long to be a robin, and maybe slightly down curved - more honeyeater like. There is patterning on the wings.

The bird was on the edge of mangroves at Karumba on the Gulf of Carpentaria.

Links to photos:
Duncan.