canberrabirds

Frogmouth hatching

To: COG List <>
Subject: Frogmouth hatching
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2014 07:02:33 +1000
The male of "my" pair of Frogmouths has been extremely unsettled on the nest this morning.  He has:
  • rotated 180 degrees twice;
  • stood fully up and fluttered his wings twice; and
  • pecked at something in the nest.
On past experience that means he has something wriggling under him.  The incubation period is now over having taken 29 days, which is two days longer than last year.  This chart shows length of incubation for the 5 years for which I have records.

Martin