canberrabirds

Trillers & Superb Parrot in Holt

To: "Canberra Birds" <>
Subject: Trillers & Superb Parrot in Holt
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 17:28:57 +1000

At 10 :00 hours today while at the mailbox I heard a vaguely familiar call and looked across the street to see a brownish bird moving about in a tree. A few seconds later I noticed a basically black and white bird that I identified as a male White-winged Triller probably not quite in full breeding plumage. Watched while the trillers moved quickly through another three trees calling continually.

We have records from the 1990s of two similar sightings in our street, pretty well in the same trees as I recall. Both records are from late September / early October.

At 13:00 today, near the cricket nets on Holt Oval, I saw a male Superb Parrot fly into an elm where it remained for a few seconds before flying away calling loudly. Going on observations stretching back to 2006 Superb Parrots will be present in the Holt Oval elms until about 20 December after which they’ll virtually disappear from that location but will continue to be reported from other areas in Belconnen.

John K. Layton

Holt