canberrabirds

'The invisible prevalence of citizen science in global research: migrato

To: CanberraBirds <>
Subject: 'The invisible prevalence of citizen science in global research: migratory birds and climate change'
From: "David McDonald (personal)" <>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 18:22:44 +1000
For info - highlighted in this month's Cornell Lab eNews - David

Cooper, C, Shirk, J & Zuckerberg, B 2014, 'The invisible prevalence of citizen science in global research: migratory birds and climate change', PLoS ONE, vol. 9, no. 9, p. e106508, open access http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0106508 .
Abstract:
Citizen science is a research practice that relies on public contributions of data. The strong recognition of its educational value combined with the need for novel methods to handle subsequent large and complex data sets raises the question: Is citizen science effective at science? A quantitative assessment of the contributions of citizen science for its core purpose – scientific research – is lacking. We examined the contribution of citizen science to a review paper by ornithologists in which they formulated ten central claims about the impact of climate change on avian migration. Citizen science was never explicitly mentioned in the review article. For each of the claims, these ornithologists scored their opinions about the amount of research effort invested in each claim and how strongly the claim was supported by evidence. This allowed us to also determine whether their trust in claims was, unwittingly or not, related to the degree to which the claims relied primarily on data generated by citizen scientists. We found that papers based on citizen science constituted between 24 and 77% of the references backing each claim, with no evidence of a mistrust of claims that relied heavily on citizen-science data. We reveal that many of these papers may not easily be recognized as drawing upon volunteer contributions, as the search terms “citizen science” and “volunteer” would have overlooked the majority of the studies that back the ten claims about birds and climate change. Our results suggest that the significance of citizen science to global research, an endeavor that is reliant on long-term information at large spatial scales, might be far greater than is readily perceived. To better understand and track the contributions of citizen science in the future, we urge researchers to use the keyword “citizen science” in papers that draw on efforts of non-professionals.
--
David McDonald
1004 Norton Road