canberrabirds

John Penhallurick - gone

To: <>
Subject: John Penhallurick - gone
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2014 14:45:38 +1000
Hello All,

This message has just come in via B-A. Most long time COG members will know
John Penhallurick (who I think I recall lived in Fraser ACT), although his
interests clearly extended way beyond our region and by my observation in
recent years he only rarely attended COG meetings and functions. I have no
idea whether his COG membership was current. In particular is dedication and
extreme detail of his endeavours with his world bird database and his
various requests for information of finer point of avian taxonomy. He would
often write to B-A about what are the dividing features or names between
this or that - South American or wherever - subspecies, most of which I had
never heard of. Something over a year ago he advised of his illness and
regretted that he was unable to continue updating his list of world birds
and worried as to who could take it on. I wonder whether he had any offers.

Also I and no doubt others will recall his talk to COG some years ago of his
excitement at seeing most of the world's wild population of free living
California Condors in the sky at one time.

Philip

-----Original Message-----From: Birding-Aus
 On Behalf Of Marie Tarrant
Sent: Tuesday, 9 September 2014 11:12 AM        To: martin cachard      Cc:

Subject: FW: 2014 VicTwitch Record

What sad news about John Penhallurick.   I remember his email some 18
months ago advising of his prognosis.

At that time he said that the thing that saddened and worried him the most,
after saying goodbye to my wife, daughters and granddaughter was that he
would have to give up his ambition to get to 8000 birds.  Condolences to his
family

Marie Tarrant
Kobble Creek