canberrabirds

An oasis of bird life

To: <>
Subject: An oasis of bird life
From: "Margaret Leggoe" <>
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2014 08:24:02 +1000

I have just come home from a trip to WA which included several days in Carnarvon.  That place is one of Australia’s best-kept birding secrets.  Though I am not a list-keeper, in five short mornings I recall having seen, heard or photographed 42 native species.  21 of these were first time encounters for me.

Among the most charming were the calls of the chiming wedgebill - common enough in the scrub - pied butcherbird and the raucous blue-winged kookaburra.  I did not manage photos of any of these, but just to hear them was wonderful.

Of those I managed to photograph (mostly badly)the best are now being put up on the internet at these two sites:

http://ibc.lynxeds.com/users/margaret-leggoe

m("N08/","//www.flickr.com/photos/94803194");">https:

Well worth the trip.

Skippers is the airline that services Carnarvon.  Both Hertz and Avis supply a range of hire cars and though motel accommodation is limited, there are numerous caravan parks.  Don’t know whether on-site caravans are available, but I will look into that next time.  There HAS to be a next time for me.

Cheers

Margaret Leggoe