canberrabirds

Molonglo birding

To: COG List <>
Subject: Molonglo birding
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2014 18:10:24 +1000
Having some time to fill in this morning I went to Weston ponds for a look round.  The wind was howling - there is no vegetation in the sub-Saharan suburbs to slow it down - so there were relatively few birds around.  3+ Black-fronted Plovers, 2 Australasian Shovelers and 2 Pink-eared Duck were the highlights.

I then went to Stromlo Forest Park to tick White-fronted Chat.  The ACT managers of the South Western Township of Molonglo seem to have completely lost the plot (no great surprise there) with the current arrangements for access to this facility (and indeed to Urriara Road).  The previously simple route has been closed off- possibly to accommodate a new swimming hole - and now appears to involve traversing many traffic lights and a couple of roundabouts.  I'd suggest anyone going to the Brindies uses Cotter road.  Anyone going to Urriara Crossing will just have to allow several extra minutes (and buy a new UBD or rely on prayer - road signs were few).

Once in the SFP there were some bits of good news however.
  1. A pair of Chats flew in front of me almost as soon as I stepped out of the shadow of the grandstand.
  2. Conversing with the manager of the venue, he said that he often sees them on the Cotter Rd side of the grandstand; and most importantly
  3. Apart from his awareness of the Chats he seemed really interested in birds generally with comments about seeing a Bee-eater a few months ago and knowing of a Wedge-tails nest.