canberrabirds

Predation by Ravens? (warning: distressing images & descriptions)

To: sandra henderson <>
Subject: Predation by Ravens? (warning: distressing images & descriptions)
From: John Brannan <>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2014 18:20:37 +1000
Here's the latest pic, taken today, which takes today's tally to 3 birds, all killed in the same spot. This one appears to be conclusive.
Any thoughts? Suggestions?
John

On 30/08/2014, at 4:34 PM, sandra henderson wrote:

Just a few days ago I saw  a gang of 8 pied currawongs who had cornered a crimson rosella on the ground in front garden of a neighbouring house. They were taking it in turns to peck at it. At one stage it flew next door, followed by the gang. That's when I went over and persuaded them to leave. The somewhat dazed rosella perched on top of a fence, and after about 5 mins, with the currawongs not hanging around, I left it, and heard no more distressed calls. The attacked bird was a female, a male was flying around calling loudly but couldn't do much else. Last I saw both were higher up in flowering cherry so perhaps there was a happy ending.  And a few months ago I photographed a pied currawong at Jerrabomberra Wetlands, who had a newly killed crested pigeon (actually flew with said victim in its beak, and landed under a bush) and was obviously about to enjoy it for breakfast. So I'd be wondering about the currawongs at your friend's house.

Sandra H