canberrabirds

Laughing Kookaburra response to White-bellied Sea-eagle

To: COG list <>
Subject: Laughing Kookaburra response to White-bellied Sea-eagle
From: Con Boekel <>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 17:18:24 +1000
This afternoon, trudging disconsolately back from the Azure Kingfisher place without having seen an Azure Kingfisher, I espied a Laughing Kookaburra.

At first it was peering intently into a jumble of fallen logs and branches. It glanced skywards and then stretched its head and beak so that beak, head and body formed an elongated shape in order, I assume, to look as much like a broken branch as possible. Tawny Frogmouths are far more stylish when they do the same thing. Looking up, I saw why the Kookaburra was apeing a Frogmouth... an adult White-bellied Sea-eagle flying by, heading south.

Once the Sea-eagle was gone, the Kookaburra changed from potential prey to potential predator, assumed its normal posture, and began peering intently into the jumble of logs and branches.

Con