canberrabirds

4 Wedgetailed Eagle rolling and parrying and White-fronted Chat

To: "canberrabirds" <>
Subject: 4 Wedgetailed Eagle rolling and parrying and White-fronted Chat
From: "casburnj" <>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2014 16:39:29 +1000

I had the unexpected pleasure during my ride from Stomolo Forest Park up Eucumbene Drive, of hearing some squealing calls which drew my attention to 4 Wedge-tailed Eagles in aerial manoeuvers.   I don’t’ know whether two of the birds were intruders in the region, or if this was a family of 4.  Two of the birds appeared to be smaller than the others, and there was some evidence of golden colour through wings from particular angles.  One of the larger birds had ragged tail feathers. Note that there was a Kangaroo carcase on the side of Eucumbene Drive that had been opened from the neck region and hollowed out to some extent – still relatively fresh I think.  Quite a few Pied Currawong and Australian Raven appeared to be watching the Eagles from high vantage points – not far from the Kangaroo carcase.  Any ideas?

My purpose on the ride was to find White-fronted Chat in Stomlo Forest Park – luckily I came upon two groups of 7 – possibly the same group as they were moving about quite quickly foraging.

Another delight was a feeding flock of 14 Double-barred Finch in gorgeous plumage accompanied by Yellow-rumped Thornbill, 2 Australian Pipit  and 2 White-fronted Chat.

At the Bushfire Memorial, another small feeding flock of 7 Double-barred Finch, 1 Scarlet Robin, 1 White-eared Honeyeater,  Superb Fairy Wren, Yellow-rumped Thornbill and 1 Brown Thornbill.  Not far from this area 1 Black-fronted Dotterel and 1 Masked Lapwing.

Sunny but coldish wind. A very pleasing outing.

Jean