canberrabirds

New Holland honeyeater sites

Subject: New Holland honeyeater sites
From: Jessica <>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2014 03:25:06 +0100
Hi there,

I have just started my PhD at the University of Cambridge, but I am doing my fieldwork in Canberra with the Magrath Lab at ANU. I am currently carrying out an experiment on alarm calls and information use by New Holland honeyeaters. Because the birds are unbanded, I have to carry out the experiments at sites that are at least 100m apart. I've found about some suitable sites within the Australian National Botanic Gardens, in the Jerrabomberra Wetlands and at Jaramlee Pond, but I would ideally like to find another 3/4 for the experiment and I am really struggling to find the birds outside these areas.

I was wondering whether anyone in this group may know of other good sites to find New Hollands in the Canberra area, whether it's a park or reserve with several individuals, or just a bush on a particular road where you can regularly find one or two honeyeaters. Any advice or assistance anyone can offer me would be greatly appreciated, as I don't know Canberra especially well and it's proving very tricky to find them!

Many thanks,

Jessica McLachlan