canberrabirds

One less White-eared Honeyeater

To: "'Canberra Birds'" <>
Subject: One less White-eared Honeyeater
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 17:58:18 +1000
The phrase “survival of the fittest”does not actually refer to predator vs. prey, although it is often misinterpreted that way. As it may still be that the prey is the fittest if it leaves more progeny. The phrase “survival of the fittest” actually refers to differential survival rates of members of the same species, where one has some slight advantage over another by virtue of small genetic difference that survives to the next generation. Thus this particular White-eared Honeyeater has been less fit than other White-eared Honeyeaters today. Although the concept ignores that there is a huge component of random outcomes in nature.

Philip

-----Original Message-----From: Mark Clayton [ Sent: Friday, 27 June 2014 4:45 PM
To: 'John Harris'; 'Denise Kay'; 'John Layton'      Cc: 'Canberra Birds'Subject: RE: [canberrabirds] One less White-eared Honeyeater

Exactly!!!!! Have people ever heard of some old naturalists’ _expression_ “survival of the fittest”!!!???

Mark

From: John Harris [ Sent: Friday, 27 June 2014 4:40 PM      To: Denise Kay; John Layton
Cc: Canberra BirdsSubject: Re: [canberrabirds] One less White-eared Honeyeater

What are Currawongs allowed to eat?

From: Denise Kay <>Date: Friday, 27 June 2014 3:55 pmTo: John Layton <>
Cc: Canberra Birds <>Subject: Re: [canberrabirds] One less White-eared Honeyeater

That almost just happened in my garden……pair white eared honeyeaters landed in the birth bath ( I am doing the survey this is the first time I have noticed them in the bath before ) within seconds madam Currawong swings in and caused mayhem. They escaped thankfully.

Denise

Giralang