canberrabirds

of interest? Woodswallows clustering

To: "'William Stephinson'" <>, "'canberrabirds chatline'" <>
Subject: of interest? Woodswallows clustering
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 12:29:55 +1000
We people like to make sometimes arbitrary definitions of phenomena. My
recollection of this issue was that this form of "clustering" only refers to
mass roosting (overnight) of these birds, in a way that they are basically
huddled on top of each other, as shown in the Black-faced Woodswallows
photo. I recall that roosting parallel along a branch in close contact, as
White-breasted Woodswallows so often do in the daytime, does not count in
that definition. Good that Steve shrinks his photos but I can't tell if the
last one (White-breasted w/s clustered p.m. along branch) was night or day,
but either way it looks like normal daytime perching, (hardly odd that they
might do the same at night), rather than this type of clustering. So I
suspect Graeme is still correct.