canberrabirds

Re stray thoughts on stone the crows

To: John Layton <>, Canberra Birds <>
Subject: Re stray thoughts on stone the crows
From: John Harris <>
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2014 03:22:14 +0000
Bob Dylan was no fool, whatever else he was, and I am sure he knew that his clever quip,  ‘leaving no tern unstoned’ was not original with him. It is one of the better known ‘Spoonerisms’ named after the legendary Rev W A Spooner,  (1844-1930) who notoriously confused the first initial syllables of his words. He was Warden of New College, a position I once held myself, although in Sydney, not Oxford, hence my interest in him.  Among his more famous confusions concerned Queen Victoria: ‘let us raise our glasses and toast the queer old Dean’.  As well as the terns he was responsible for another for bird lovers: 'He delivered a blushing crow to the head'. Many other alleged Spoonerisms were incessantly coined by his students and today many modern comedians are adept at them, like the Two Ronnies, whose word play tended as always towards the risqué, like the one the Two Ronnies had about birds, the joys of the ‘pheasant plucking season’.
But we owe W A Spooner a huge debt. Without him the world would have one less eccentric word play to laugh at.  Spank you Thooner.