canberrabirds

Travelling overseas

Subject: Travelling overseas
From: Ray Comer <>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2014 07:55:25 +0200
Hi all - we are half way through a six weeks trip at the moment,started off in
France (Lyon,Burgundy and Paris), Amsterdam, off to Iceland and Faroe Islands
today for ten days touring around the Islands and finally back to Denmark and
Berlin.
We mention this because of the bird life we have seen or maybe not seen. First
ones to give a mention to in Burgundy were the Eurasian Magpie with its
distinctive long tail and quite different black and white markings and the
rather large Collared Dove, a dominant species there.
In Amsterdam species worthy of mention were that Gray Heron(much larger than
our herons),Black Stork,Parrikeets,Eurasian Magpie and the total surprise
packet for us was the Great Crested Grebe in the harbour side area which was
part of our canal tour. Could not believe it at first,but after some research
we found yes it is a migratory bird and not uncommon in these parts.
What will Iceland give us, of course we are expecting the Puffins and lot of
sea birds and much looking forward to the adventure. We. would love to know if
any COG members have been there. We will report back later.
A last point to mention came from an American couple we met on a bike tour in
Amsterdam who said you are birder types, have you seen the movie " The Big
Year" (2011)starring Steve Martin and Jack Black. Apparently it is about some
guys who entered a contest to win "Birder of the Year" and is rated a must
watch. If you have not heard of it suggest you look it up. We will watch when
we get back to Aussie land.

Great to be able to keep up with the Chatline while we are travelling.

Bye for now

Ray Comer and Sue-Ellen Bickford