canberrabirds

Re: FW: [canberrabirds] Do Gang-gangs spend their whole lives eating?

To: Geoffrey Dabb <>
Subject: Re: FW: [canberrabirds] Do Gang-gangs spend their whole lives eating?
From: Megan Mears <>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 16:12:56 +1000
Thanks a lot Geoffrey for the information and cute cartoon and to the others who responded. I'm getting a better picture about GGs now. It probably would have helped to go to the COG talk about them. Sorry about that Geoffrey.

Here's a bit about what I have noticed about GGs in my area, which is Watson, close to Mt Majura.

Eucalypts are important. Obviously GGs feed in many exotics but it is always gum trees that they land in as they commute. Eucalypt corridors are important also. They seem to spend quite a bit of time in them, as they make their way off the mountain in the morning.

I have twice been lucky enough to see co-flying with King Parrots. Once there was just one GG and it did not seem too happy about the process, but the KPs were insistent. I saw the flying again a few days later. Several GGs and KPs were involved. They did many figure of eights around a couple of trees, and flew low. It was a beautiful spectacle.

Today I saw many King Parrots and two GGs arrive in some gum trees and suspected feeding. When I walked by a little later KPs were all over the clothesline of one house and several were feeding from a bin. I assume it contained bird seed. I had a vision of King Parrots in Canberra becoming as dominant as Rainbow Lorikeets in northern NSW and SE Qld. I was also reminded of the link David Mc Donald sent not too long ago about feeding birds and the role of the bird feeding industry. Finally I wondered how that household could dry clothes on the Hills Hoist!

That's about it for today.

Megan