canberrabirds

Recently dead YFH now preserved in the ANWC

To: "" <>
Subject: Recently dead YFH now preserved in the ANWC
From: "Baird, Ian" <>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 23:46:05 +0000

Yesterday I collected a recently dead Yellow-faced Honeyeater (YFH) found on the footpath at the corner of Challis St and Cape Street , Dickson at 12:20 pm. Cause of death unknown.  Following Mark Clayton’s advice, I contacted Robert Palmer, Collections Manager at the Australian National Wildlife Collection (ANWC) which is located at the old CSIRO site at Gungahlin off Bellenden St, Mitchell.

Robert accepted the specimen a few hours later and, given the freshness of the specimen,  it was made into a skin for the ANWC collection yesterday afternoon.

COG’s webmaster, Julian Robinson, is in the final stages of preparing general guidelines for the COG website on what to do:   ‘If you find a dead bird which may be useful for science’, so look out for that information which he has advised me should be available soon on the new COG website.

Ian Baird  | Senior Policy  Officer

Nature Conservation Policy | Environment and Sustainable Development Directorate | ACT Government

Level 5, 1 Moore Street CIVIC | GPO Box 158 CANBERRA ACT 2601 | www.environment.gov.au