canberrabirds

Interesting Ibis behaviour

To: Leo Berzins <>
Subject: Interesting Ibis behaviour
From: Margaret Leggoe <>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2014 20:37:01 +1100
Few years ago I photographed large flock of straws in flight with one only AWI amongst them.
Margaret Leggoe

On Sunday, 9 March 2014, Leo Berzins <> wrote:
This afternoon I watched a Straw-necked Ibis and an Australian White Ibis preening on the banks of the Queanbeyan River. No other ibises were present. The Straw-necked Ibis performed some wing displays and associated steps and jumps several times before resuming preening. On each occasion, the White Ibis followed and mimicked the display and jumps.

Not having seen this cross species behaviour in ibises before, I though it was worth reporting.

Regards,
Leo.

Ibises_B14X5840_Queanbeyan_40k