canberrabirds

Blackberry spraying - will birds die?

To: "'casburnj'" <>
Subject: Blackberry spraying - will birds die?
From: "Peter Ormay" <>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 17:49:46 +1100

Hi  Jean,

Good question but I think your question should be directed to the ACT parks service (whatever their name is now) at the South Side Depot. Canberra Connect should be able to put you through. I’m interested in their response as I’m sure lots of other members  are too.

My understanding is that the chemical used has to be taken down into the root system to kill the whole plant otherwise it will shoot again. The plant starts shutting down around mid-summer and sending nutrients down into the roots for the next spring growth and the chemical can be taken down then. I don’t know when the plants shut down for the winter but it is obviously useless to spray after they have shut down.

They may be able to start spraying after the berries are finished but it may not leave them much of a window.

PETER