canberrabirds

Night Parrot

To: "'John Harris'" <>, "'COG chatline'" <>
Subject: Night Parrot
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 14:41:48 +1100
Hi John,

Well I suggest your story should get a more thorough airing. You should at least send it to John Young, to add to his information. and to what is now Birdlife Australia and could go in their magazine, especially if you have a closer idea of the location. Hopefully attitudes are more open now, although it still would be true to say your sighting could not be verified, but neither should it be dismissed. It is a pity it was disbelieved at the time, maybe more true to say it was easy to dismiss, (though nothing in your story sounds wrong to me). That you say you lost the feathers that would have been proof is very sad. Obviously as the species is still in existence now, so it was then. But it deserves to go better into the record than a write up in a COG chat line. As for "Aboriginal mates knew what they were. “Mirrlambing,  good tucker that one!”". Well I'm sorry to say that does not prove a lot of itself as they say many things are good tucker. That is supposed to be the meaning of the word budgerigar.