canberrabirds

NVC

To: <>
Subject: NVC
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 13:06:43 +1100

The corner of the pond near the building has become a reliable spot for close views of the now rather common Spotted Crake, although it is likely to be part-obscured, as below.  That will probably change as the water recedes.  You are more likely to be attracted to this occasionally fashionable venue by the prospect of seeing the Lewin’s Rail.  In two recent visits I have only had one view of the little chap of a few seconds.  It was on the north-west corner of the island and quickly disappeared into the tussocks.  More than other crakes/rails, this species seems to have the habit of staying in dense cover for long periods.  An exception, of course, was the individual that appeared at Commonwealth Park a few years ago and happily foraged on the lawn beside a busy pathway.  I have now seen the Lewins at 3 widely separated sites in the ACT, so it is certainly one of ‘our birds’ although probably of only occasional occurrence, depending on conditions.  You will remember it was reported at the visitor centre a year or so ago, and no doubt there is a reason for its repeated appearance there.