canberrabirds

Masked Lapwings and Shoalhaven Wonga pigeons

To: "'jude hopwood'" <>, "'COG'" <>
Subject: Masked Lapwings and Shoalhaven Wonga pigeons
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 10:47:39 +1100
I'm a little curious about your "ML 2" and what time scale it happened over. I'll make a big guess at that the school gardener believed that he had a victory in his predations, discouraging the birds to breed. But I suspect it doesn't work like that. I wonder whether this action actually did stop the birds from defending the site, which was presumably the intent, or did it just extend the time period. An equally big guess that in the heads of the birds it may have just reached the point in the year when their urge (or ability) to lay again had passed. I wouldn't be at all surprised if exactly the same thing happens next year (or late in 2014). If it can be shown that removing the eggs just extends the period of the problem, well that just may be a helpful development.