canberrabirds

Superb Parrot feeding

To: COG Chatline <>
Subject: Superb Parrot feeding
From: Megan Mears <>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2014 21:26:38 +1100
4 Superb Parrots were very obliging around 11am today in the AIS carpark. I watched them for quite a while and will describe what think I saw and maybe someone could confirm or refute my suspicions.

3 muted coloured Superbs were feeding on the eucalypts in the carpark (presumably juvenile birds), while a strongly coloured mature parrot sat higher in the tree, not eating just sitting/ watching. After a while the adult fed one of the young, something like the way galahs feed their young ie regurgitation style ( Maybe all parrots do this, I don't know).  However feeding was elaborate, it involved a lot of jumping and almost dancing. A passerby who was just as fascinated as me, speculated the jumping was part of the regurgitation.

Looking forward to any comments,

Megan Mears