canberrabirds

spectacular sighting at Wonga, Bawley Point

To: "chatline canberrabirds" <>
Subject: spectacular sighting at Wonga, Bawley Point
From: "Terry Bell" <>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 08:42:15 +1100
for most  keen birders, I guess, a really unusual, rare or spectacular sighting is something which can bring back as much pleasure as the original event when remembered and discussed with friends and colleagues. Particularly so when sitting round the campfire with a glass of red on a COG camping trip with like minded enthusiasts.
Therefore I must tell you about a massed display yesterday morning over the cottages at Wonga where about 50 needle tailed swifts were observed apparently in a feeding frenzy. The clear blue sky at this location seemed full of swifts as they soared upwards into dots way up high and then returning in groups,  zooming at great speed over the tree-tops. It surely was an arial display long to be remembered.
This was our third visit to Wonga  and the range of honeyeaters is a feature.  From the door step several scarlets were seen whilst there was constant activity in the nearby trees. Plus a first for me , a pair of blackfaced monarchs.
On a sad note Pat Walker died last year after a long illness, hence the non- appearance of customary advertisement in GangGang which will soon be rectified. For birdwatchers needing a break at the coast Wonga is certainly a place to be considered