canberrabirds

Buff-banded Rail at Forde?

To: "'John Brown'" <>, "'COG Chatline'" <>
Subject: Buff-banded Rail at Forde?
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 16:02:07 +1100
I wouldn't think that not noticing white spots on the back would (ever) be a main reason for deciding between these 2 species (when 1 is rare in our region and the viewing was short). It is hardly an obvious feature compared to many other features. It is regular on many birds that white tips to feathers can wear off in worn plumage (I don't know about this species). Also Lewin's Rail has some white edges to wing coverts, so that is not a big difference.

Philip

-----Original Message-----From: John Brown [ Sent: Thursday, 16 January 2014 1:47 PM      To: COG Chatline
Subject: RE: [canberrabirds] Buff-banded Rail at Forde?

I strongly suspect this is the same bird I reported to this list that I saw at Forde ponds on 4th Jan, which I (apparently incorrectly) concluded was probably a Lewin's Rail: