canberrabirds

Purple-Crowned Lorikeets in Kambah

To: COG list <>
Subject: Purple-Crowned Lorikeets in Kambah
From: Evan Beaver <>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 09:16:06 +1100
Hi all,

After the exciting reports of PC lorikeets around Cook I have been keeping an eye out around home in Kambah. We're on the very western fringe and driving around Cook, where I saw the PCs late last year, I thought the habitat looked similar and that there might be a chance for them around home. Well, as luck would have it one stopped very briefly in our massive Silky Oak on Sunday. Pretty good bird for the house list! They have a pretty distinct call once you've heard it a few times, similar to Little Lorikeet to my ears but more like a Rainbow.

I'd just got back from a couple of days in and around Leeton where I had stunning views of about a dozen Turquoise Parrots, so it's been a good couple of weeks for parrots in general.

--
Evan Beaver
Kambah, ACT