canberrabirds

Colour banded Crested Pigeons

To: <>
Subject: Colour banded Crested Pigeons
From: "Mark Clayton" <>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2014 20:57:41 +1100

Hi all,

This email is directed more to COG members in Kaleen and Giralang, especially if you have a feed try with seed or keep chooks, but may be of interest to other birders in Richardson and near the O’Connor shops. For some time now I have been helping a PhD student from the ANU with trapping and colour banding Crested Pigeons in my backyard. Trevor Murray is researching what makes the wing whistle when Crested Pigeons take off. What I would like COG members in  the above areas to do (or anywhere else for that matter) is keep an eye out for banded pigeon and let me or Trevor know where they were seen, the colours and which leg they were on and the date. The birds will have a colour band over a metal (silver) band on one leg and two (2) colours on the other. You can record the colours as, for example, colour X/metal on right leg, colour Y/colour Z on the left. We will get back to you with the original banding details.

Thanks,

Mark