canberrabirds

The COG Breeding Codes, illustrated (final)

To: "'Geoffrey Dabb'" <>, <>
Subject: The COG Breeding Codes, illustrated (final)
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2013 18:13:37 +1100
Very cute set Geoffrey (especially this one). I wonder if you or anyone could come up with the non existent code brood patch BP as per this discussion about cuckoos of late October:

About: I've been told that there is no code for it in the Blitz/COG records. Yes that appears to be true. I was in the discussions that set these up, at least for the GBS which followed the new COG database in about 1992. I guess we didn't even think of brood patch, as typical field obs without handling a bird would not reveal it. You could say it is a significant oversight. Though I have not heard the question raised before. The only other thing is it is not necessarily associated with a place. As in a bird with a brood patch could be some distance from a nest. A bit of a hollow reason and I suspect brood patch can be less tenuous as a breeding record than display Di or carrying food CF (which are of limited use, especially if not reinforced by better evidence of the same birds at the same site on other days).

Philip

-----Original Message-----From: Geoffrey Dabb [ Sent: Friday, 6 December 2013 1:44 PM      To:
Subject: [canberrabirds] The COG Breeding Codes, illustrated (final)