canberrabirds

FW: [canberrabirds] Lyrebird in trees

To: <>
Subject: FW: [canberrabirds] Lyrebird in trees
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 09:14:39 +1100

Gould showed a pair in a tree.  That pattern of roosting recalls the local peafowl:  they hop up branch by branch, roost high up, and glide down in the morning -  the males on those spectacular chestnut wings.  That only applies of course if there are lower branches. If not they fly directly to the crown, sometimes taking off from a nearby roof.  Peafowl nest on the ground rather than in trees.  Another difference is that peafowl have an eye on each side of the head. In my attempt to catch the essence of the monolateraloptic lyrebird I have borrowed the eyes of another common local species.  Does anyone know which one?