canberrabirds

Where to find birds around Canberra

To: <>
Subject: Where to find birds around Canberra
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 09:16:41 +1100

It’s Mulligans for robins

And Tuggeranong for crows,

The ‘Bidgee for the Painteds,

And Regents? – no-one knows.

Try Campbell Park for bronzewings

Bot Gardens for the owls,

Newline for busy shrike-tits

With their clear insistent howls.

The inner South for koels

Though some might say the north;

It doesn’t really matter

When the noisy bird holds forth.

It’s Aranda for the friarbirds

With croaks and gasps and clucks

And Holt for bright green parrots,

BUT BUNGENDORE FOR DUCKS

From: Martin Butterfield [
Sent: Saturday, 16 November 2013 4:54 PM
To: Geoffrey Dabb
Cc: COG List

The exercise of running over to the fence must have tired them out.  By 1600 hrs they were back resting on the grass between the Hoskinstown Rd (HR) Dam and the delightful Bungendore Meadows slum.

Inline images 1

I also checked the Trucking Yard Lane (TYL) dam where Pacific Black Ducks were very evident as were many cockatoos.  My total estimates for the two sites were :

TYL

HR

Total

43

Crested Pigeon

6

6

202

Australian Wood Duck

10

10

205

Plumed Whistling Duck

15

15

207

Australian Shelduck

3

43

46

208

Pacific Black Duck

49

100

149

211

Grey Teal

50

50

271

Little Corella

2

2

269

Sulphur-crested Cockatoo

200

200

400

273

Galah

50

100

150

357

Welcome Swallow

2

2

954

Little Raven

10

20

30

At one point I thought I heard a Koel calling, but when I turned off the car radio (broadcasting an interview, from Brisbane, with Shane Watson that noise disappeared.  On a further sporting note, if watching lotsa dux is not exciting enough this afternoon was livened up by mounted cowpersons-in-training attempting to round up some cattle in the next paddock over.  My score was cattle 5 Cowpersons 0.