canberrabirds

COG Blitz at Mulligans Flat

To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: COG Blitz at Mulligans Flat
From: "Jenny Bounds" <>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 11:29:50 +1100

Alison Russell-French and I had a very nice morning at Mulligans Flat Sanctuary last Sunday, recording 71 species of birds.  While nothing rare/unusual was seen, highlights were a large number of White-winged Trillers (an ACT vulnerable species) on the eastern side of the reserve doing display flights and calling, and two Little Eagles (ACT vulnerable species), one a light phase bird and one a dark phase.   Years ago a pair of Little Eagles (one light phase/one dark phase) used to be regularly recorded on our woodland surveys at Mulligans, but we had not recorded them there for a long time.   Good numbers of small bush birds were around including Sacred Kingfisher, Scarlet Robin, Speckled Warbler, Leaden Flycatcher, Varied Sittella (another ACT vulnerable species) Rainbow Beeater (flying high overhead) and 3 species of cuckoos.  Superb Parrots were heard, but did not seem to be flying over the usual routes/corridors.  We also recorded White-eared Honeyeaters at several places, mostly on the eastern side of the reserve.  Unfortunately, White-plumed Honeyeaters and Hooded Robins seem to have disappeared from the reserve.  The large dam area was quieter birdwise than in recent months, but we did record Whistling Kite, Aust. and Hoary-headed Grebes and Australian Shoveller there, amongst other ducks and coots.  An echidna foraging in the open north of the large dam and a large Bearded Dragon with beautiful, sandy coloured markings were also spotted.